Google Chrome already sports a number of security-minded features, from Incognito mode to a software sandbox which makes exploiting the browser a Herculean task. Now, Google has announced additional protection for Chromium and Chrome users.
Built upon the Safe Browsing API, the new feature introduces protection against malicious downloads. If a download link appears in the Safe Browsing blacklist, Chrome and Chromium will warn users against downloading — a save button is still presented, of course, in case you’re convinced a file is perfectly safe to download.
We’d like to see something a bit more eye-catching than the red warning icon — like perhaps painting the entire bar red. Many of the people a feature like this aims to protect probably won’t notice the icon or change in wording as they’ll be focused on clicking the save button.
Google is initially making download protection available to Chrome dev channel users, and you’ll likely see it in Canary and Chromium snapshot builds as well. After thorough testing, beta and stable users will be next in line.
US UK CAN
app apple apps app store battery life case com design display email engadget everything game gawker google HP htc internet explorer ipad iphone launch LTE mdash microsoft connect national information svcs OS Permalink Email phone photo release review smartphone tablet time TV UK update US version video welcome screen windows windows live windows phone year
- Google’s Street View maps the watery roadways of Venice
- Intel will open its own retail pop-up stores later this month (video)
- Modulr iPad mini Mobility Pack review
- The best shopping apps for Android
- Nikon Crams Full-Frame Sensor Into Its Legendary 1950s-Era F Series
- Clean Up Your Inbox by Sending Bulk Email to Its Own Folder
- From the Wurlitzer to the 808, These Are the Greatest Drum Machines Ever Made
- Touch Board kit combines an Arduino heart with touch sensors, conductive paint
- BBC iPlayer Radio app updated with Playlister feature
- German retailer leak outs Moto G specs ahead of announcement